Museum Vlaardingen is looking for a new member for the board. Due to the further composition of the council and the museum’s ambitions, we prefer someone with experience in diversity and inclusion.
In the dynamic, urbanized Waterweg region, Museum Vlaardingen is a vibrant and enterprising city museum, where the historical, current and future development of Vlaardingen is central.
As a reliable treasurer of the city’s historical heritage, the museum makes sense of Vlaardingen now and later from the past. From a characteristic, monumental building on Museumkade (overlooking the museum ship De Balder and the historic City Crane), Museum Vlaardingen tells the stories of a colorful city on the water, where the delta, as a source of employment and well-being, has been a source of activity for centuries. , entrepreneurship, innovation and prosperity. In Museum Vlaardingen, visitors experience why Vlaardingen is more than just a Dutch city on the water.
With a high-profile and varied program of exhibitions and activities aimed at all residents of Vlaardingen, the museum strives for inclusiveness: young, old and new residents of the city discover and recognize ‘their’ stories in the museum, so knowledge, appreciation and connections a big boost in the city.
Due to its location by the water and the associated industry and industry, Vlaardingen has traditionally been an immigration town. The latest figures show that of the more than 73,000 inhabitants, more than 30 percent have a migration background. The population of Vlaardingen consists of about 150 nationalities.
The Supervisory Board
Museum Vlaardingen’s supervisory board supervises the board’s policy and the general course of the museum and advises the board and staff. Management is handled by a CEO.
Members of the Supervisory Board are considered to be able, also in terms of available time, to timely and adequately monitor and stimulate the Director-Administrator’s policy and the general situation as well as encourage the Director-Administrator in preparation and assist the implementation of the policy with advice.
The current board consists of 6 members, who represent a wide range of areas of expertise. The council finds it desirable to expand the composition and is looking for a 7th member of the board who, in addition to contributing to the museum’s overall policy, can provide an extra advisory impetus for policy formulation in the area of diversity and inclusion. . We use the Diversity & Inclusion Code in the cultural sector as a guideline for this ambition.
- Affinity with the museum sector and more particularly with making connections to non-traditional museum visitors, such as young people and residents, who originally come from a non-Western culture.
- Knowledge, experience and belonging to the design of diversity and inclusion policy and intercultural communication.
- Inspirer and available soundtrack in this area for the director and the organization.
- Relevant network for the museum and insight into the interaction with (local) authorities, social organizations and parts of society
- The board strives for a good balance between age, gender, nationality, experience and cultural background for the individual board members. In the event of equal suitability, priority is therefore given to a candidate who increases the diversity of the Board of Directors. Individuals with a non-Western background are expressly encouraged to apply.
- The board meets at least six times a year and tries to be present as far as possible at openings / exhibitions and special evenings arranged by the museum.
- Members of the board can sit on one or more (sub) committees, related to the role of the board and participate in various meetings relevant to the museum.
- Members of the Board of Directors are appointed for a period of four years and may be reappointed once.
- Remuneration: Museum Vlaardingen is looking for a supervisor who is willing to work for the Foundation without remuneration.
More information and application procedure
For more information, please contact Hans Versluijs, Chairman of the Supervisory Board, 06-22482271, or Léanne Selles, Director of Museum Vlaardingen, 06-55182484.
Applications can be sent until June 15, 2022 to: firstname.lastname@example.org†
A committee of the Board of Directors will hold discussions with candidates and make proposals to the Board of Directors, which will make a decision taking into account the advice of the CEO.
In principle, discussions will take place on 27 June 2022 in Museum Vlaardingen.