Are you fascinated by artificial intelligence that can recognize behaviors and objects with camera systems? And do you want to contribute to the development of cutting-edge applications in computer vision for a safer world? We are looking for you!
What do you want to do?
At TNO, we work in a close-knit team of professionals in an open and informal culture in many domains for a safer world. The following are four examples:
- It is time consuming and often dangerous for the Armed Forces to achieve a good information position. That is why TNO is working on unmanned robot and decision support systems for the Dutch defense and the international defense industry. Our image analysis systems perform at least as well and often even better than humans, by leveraging developments in deep learning, AI and autonomy. Think of the detection of roadside bombs using algorithms embedded in a robotic system or monitoring operations to protect critical areas using algorithms on board (unmanned) aircraft.
- In the security domain, we look for the needle in the haystack by analyzing large amounts of data. Our software supports Immigration Service IND by automatically assessing the authenticity of source documents, such as birth certificate or marriage certificate.
- There is a growing need to perform complex tasks remotely, such as providing remote care or repairs in hazardous locations, such as oil rigs or disaster areas. Robots are increasingly being used for this. Although robots can do a lot on their own, human expertise is still indispensable for execution because these tasks are so complicated. At TNO, we work on solutions where an expert can log in to a robot and perform a task externally together with the robot in question. At Intelligent Imaging, we deal with the automatic image construction of the surroundings, scene recognition, grabbing or avoiding objects and efficient handling of sensor data.
- Collection and annotation of histological data is a time consuming and expensive process, but currently necessary to train detection and segmentation models. In collaboration with academic hospitals, we are working on a method to train a model with very few labels to segment cell organelles into electron microscopic images. With this, pathologists, doctors looking at these images, have to spend very little time commenting on training data, and they can still automatically get an accurate segmentation of these cell organelles.
The expert group Intelligent Imaging is a young, passionate, creative and committed group of professionals (40 people) specialized in developing cutting-edge applications in computer vision. Our people come from a variety of backgrounds, from physics to artificial intelligence. Intelligent imaging is a young and growing department, where in recent years we have built up a lot of expertise in AI and deep learning. In small and large projects, you work with employees from other expert groups, both within and outside the defense domain. We provide a good introductory program and look for where your talents come into their own within the group.
How will you contribute to the world of the future? How big can your influence be? Come and work at TNO and see for yourself.
What we expect from you
You have completed a scientific education in biomedical engineering, technical medicine, medical imaging, computer science, physics, mathematics, electrical engineering or artificial intelligence (MSc or PhD) with experience in research in computer vision and deep learning. You have demonstrable experience with algorithm development. You also have experience using Python, Matlab and / or C ++ or you are quickly able to master your new programming languages. You are pragmatic and you want to develop further as a researcher.
You are able to express yourself clearly to colleagues and customers, you are customer-oriented and determined to work in teams towards an end result that is useful and useful to our customers.
What we offer you
Maybe you want to grow in the direction of trading or advising. Or do you want to become a project manager, immerse yourself more in sustainable innovations or make a career as a technical expert.
In addition, at TNO you can put together a ‘menu’ with terms of employment that suit your personal situation. Whatever you can expect:
- A highly professional, innovative work environment, with top experts as colleagues.
- Opportunity to follow courses, trainings and workshops and to attend conferences, and coaching if you need it.
- 33 vacation days (with full-time employment).
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talents, with initiatives such as the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and roundtables on inclusion themes.
- Travel allowance or a bicycle.
- Cozy activities with your team and other TNO employees. That way, you quickly get to know a lot of people.
- Flexible working hours and the opportunity to work from home.
- Access to our talent development program.
- Networking opportunities and fun activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Comprehensive relocation package for international applicants.
- A good pension scheme.
Read here among which employment conditions you can choose.
TNO as employer
At TNO, we encourage a spacious work environment where you can be yourself. Whatever your story is and whatever unique qualities you bring. It is precisely by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Do you know more? Read what steps we are taking in diversity and inclusion.
What does the process look like?
You can respond until and including June 18, 2022. The application procedure consists of two rounds of interviews. At a final meeting, we will discuss the terms of employment that you put together yourself. We strive to complete the entire procedure within four weeks.
An online assessment and reference check can be part of the selection procedure.
Because you also have to work for clients in the field of defense and security, it is necessary for the AIVD to issue a Declaration of No Objection (VGB). Therefore, you need to undergo a safety check beforehand. You can read more about this here.
Has this position aroused anything in you?
Then we look forward to receiving your reply!
For more information about the job or procedure, please contact us.
recruits: Anneke Geerts
Mobile phone: +31 (0) 6-556 94125
Employment manager: Christophe Hoegaerts
phone number: +31653549816
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.