Love of hip hop and black culture is a must.
The Hip-Hop House has been the place in Rotterdam for 20 years for art, culture and community in the hip-hop community; it is a breeding ground for the experience and development of hip hop and black culture. We have a broad programming based on developing skills in dance, deejaying and music and creating a cultural context through talks, club nights, movies, exhibitions and joint events. We work demand-oriented and in collaboration with creatives, organizations and communities. Everything we do, we do based on hip hop values. Because we believe that hip hop makes the world stronger, more creative and fairer.
We are in a period of growth and transformation, both in terms of content and on the scale in which we operate and have an influence. The opportunities, interests and ambitions have increased. The values and effects we are aiming for are the same. Every day, we work with a team of about 20 permanent colleagues, surrounded by about 60 freelancers and volunteers, and dozens of creative partners with whom we collaborate. Our team consists of experienced, enthusiastic community-focused, mainly black and brown people with diverse artistic and professional backgrounds. Everyone in the organization has a responsibility to cultivate our work culture, where radical equality is a goal. We operate with the idea that we never stop learning, and we develop positively and strive to apply intersectionality in our policies and working methods. To continue to grow as a cultural movement, we invest not only in craftsmanship and skills, but also in culture and the social context. Therefore, we are looking for a financial controller who also shares these values.
As a financial controller in the hip-hop house, you can connect your love of hip-hop and black culture with your financial skills. Together with the company manager and the administrative assistant, you form the finance team, the link between the dance floor and turntables, the cultural sector, business, politics, our team and our community. To make this link you need knowledge of grassroots and bottom-up organizations and you have a real understanding of the informal processes. As a controller, you are not only operationally involved in financial administration and reporting, but we also challenge you to think about the operational processes and improve the financial information supply.
In your position, you are not acting on the basis of a hierarchy, but you first retrieve what the needs are from the organization and the community before making a decision. You move your colleagues, external relationships and partners with your inherent persuasiveness so that you realize solid support for your decisions.
– You have at least 3 years of relevant experience;
– You have a love of hip hop and experience in community building;
– You strive for radical equality and want to do it together with the organization
continue to grow;
– You are strategic, creative and resourceful;
– You are good at organizing;
– You have human skills and empathy;
– You are not afraid to give or receive feedback.
– You are prepared for a commitment of at least 3 years.
Make fiscal policy proposals.
– Implements the economic policy within the framework of the organization’s policy
and applicable laws and regulations;
– You assess the financial effects of new activities and advise
the business manager;
– You are responsible for the development and use of the necessary instruments;
– You prepare frameworks and processes for the administrative organization and the financial
– You are responsible for budget, forecasts, cost analysis, liquidity monitoring, reports and
accountability to management;
– You follow and advise on the development within your own field and possible consequences for HipHopHuiset;
– You manage the organization’s insurance portfolio;
– You perform the control function;
You are responsible for the annual report and financial statements in consultation with the business manager and external auditor;
– You report on the completed financial management; advises business manager
– You carry out grant processes (take care of settlement and reporting);
You advise (encouraged and unsolicited) on the financial position of the organization;
– You monitor project budgets and signal overruns;
– You consult with and advise the business manager on business operations;
– You supervise the correct execution of the finance and payroll administration;
– You take care of and monitor corporate governance (including Governance Code Culture);
– You refer to the business manager.
What we offer
– A unique challenge for an organization in a time of growth and change.
– An informal corporate culture with an energetic team.
– The opportunity to commit to ‘culture’.
– A workplace next to Rotterdam Central Station.
– Room to develop further through coaching and training
– Free admission to events, classes and merchandise from HipHopHuis.
– An employment contract of 32 hours per week, salary in accordance with the agreement for art education.
Do you have what it takes?
Tell us why and send your CV, motivation and / or a short video to work@ hihophuis.nl
You will receive a reply no later than 5 working days after the expiry date.