Data Architect / Plv Chief Data Officer
The Dutch Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (NVWA)
As a data architect for NVWA, you contribute to goals by organizing and continuously improving the use of data, AI and algorithms. Do you see data as an important value? Would you like to get involved and contribute to the positioning of the organization and then translate this into concrete activities and projects? Then the position of data architect at the Dutch Food and Consumer Safety Authority (NVWA) is really for you!
In addition to the role of Data Architect, you have an additional role as Chief Data Officer (CDO). You support and replace Chief Data Officer within CIO Office in NVWA and you also get the opportunity to help shape the CDO function.
What do you want to do?
NVWA’s field of work is constantly evolving. The use of data, AI and algorithms is seen as a huge opportunity for a more targeted and efficient design of NVWA’s (supervision) tasks. In doing so, we not only want to support NVWA’s primary process in carrying out its activities, but also want to structurally improve NVWA’s information position.
For this purpose, a data strategy has been developed which is being recalibrated. You will play an important role in this and more importantly, lay out the lines for how this strategy can be realized. You also have an eye for the risks associated with data; therefore, you need to translate laws and regulations and government-wide frameworks into frameworks within the use of data. We use this as much as possible ‘by design’. Good data governance is of great importance in this regard. Based on a data policy accepted by the company, we work on a future-proof design and structuring of data. We do this from conceptual models to the metadata as a foundation for our basic registers, administrations and the BI platform. Business and IT work closely together in IV chains, with a strong responsibility for customers when it comes to ownership and management of change.
You also act as an internal consulting desk for organization-wide consulting issues and innovations in data, AI and algorithms. Of course, you do not do it alone. In addition to two direct fellow data architects and other colleagues within the CIO office, you will work with colleagues from, among others, Knowledge and Research (K&D) and Information Management (IM), where IV production takes place. You refer to the Head of Department at the CIO Office, who is also the Chief Data Officer and Chairman of the Data Coordination Board. Based on this consultation, the lines are drawn together with the most important stakeholders from the business, such as the data strategy and governance and an NVWA-wide data roadmap.
In this position, you get in touch with a wide range of stakeholders, both from the business and from the IV organization. In addition, you are the primary point of contact for (political) coordination with the core department. Being able to switch between these stakeholders is effortless, and coaching and supervising colleagues is a different nature for you. Together we take ‘data thinking and doing’ within NVWA to a higher level.
Within this context, you get a lot of independence to organize your work and space to actually implement your ideas. This takes place in a hybrid work environment where homework is the starting point and the walk to the office is a conscious choice (for example for meeting, brainstorming and attending workshops). Of course, there are many opportunities for development.
In order to contribute optimally to NVWA’s tasks, we implement a number of fundamental changes in the production process of the information supply (IV). We look beyond just the production of software; achieving business goals and the associated change is key. Developments in the data field are an integral part of this.
Have you been thrilled after reading the post? So respond quickly to the vacancy!
You have good communication and counseling skills. You are administratively sensitive, customer-oriented, collaborative-oriented and results-oriented. With strong analytical skills and strategic thinking, you quickly see what is going on and what is needed in a complex and changing environment. Finally, you have demonstrable experience in developing, maintaining and operationalizing information and data architecture.
In addition, we would like to see the following:
- A completed HBO or WO education, preferably Business Administration, Information Science or IT related.
- At least 5 years’ experience as a data architect in comparable rules of the game and demonstrable experience in developing, maintaining and operationalizing data architecture.
- Experience with automation and the impact of the changes on data and data management.
- Experience in making (domain) information models (from conceptual to physical data models) and appropriate data definitions including metadata.
- Experience in drawing architectures and knowledge of architectural frameworks such as NOVIUS, TOGAF, dynamic architecture (DYA) best practices such as DAMA-DM-BoK, NORA and the language Archimate, and you know how to apply this in an agile environment.
- Organizational sensitivity
- Situational awareness
Salary level: scale 13
Monthly pay: Mine. € 4,367 – Max. € 6,547 (gross)
Employment: Employment contract for an indefinite period
Minimum number of hours per week:
Maximum number of hours per week:
Other terms of employment
Where do you want to work?
NVWA is a committed, social employer that is active in a large and social playing field. Our work as a supervisor is at the center. The media, politics, business and Dutch citizens follow our work critically. At NVWA you work with social interest, your work has an impact on the safety of food, products, health of plants and animals and animal welfare in the Netherlands.
What do we offer you?
- An introductory program to suit your position with the guidance of experienced colleagues.
- Extensive training and / or coaching opportunities for your further professional development.
- Where the position allows, we offer you space to work regardless of time and place.
- A comfortable working environment with Utrecht headquarters within walking distance of the Central Station.
- Regular fun activities with your colleagues, such as our (now legendary) pub quiz!
- In addition to the salary, you get an Individual Choice Budget (IKB). IKB consists of money (16.37% of your gross annual salary) and time. With the IKB, you make the choices that suit you, and you can compose some of your terms of employment yourself. For example, you can choose to have part of your monthly income paid out when you wish. You can also convert this budget to leave and vice versa or spend it on tax-friendly purposes. The national government places great emphasis on personal growth and career development and offers numerous opportunities for this. The perks include various study facilities, company fitness, full reimbursement of your public transportation expenses for commuting and partially paid parental leave.
- The applications will be processed in accordance with applicable agreements, including the collective agreement for the national government and the NVP application code.
- A Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required to work at NVWA.
- In the case of an indefinite employment contract and you do not (yet) have a permanent employment contract as a civil servant, you start (in principle), to assess your suitability, with a fixed-term employment contract with the prospect of an indefinite period.
- Clearly state in your curriculum vitae that you meet the desired educational requirements.
- The selection committee can obtain references, but will always coordinate this with you in advance.
- An online screening via, for example, search engines or social media, can be part of the selection process.
- A competency test and / or an assessment may be included in the selection procedure.
- A comprehensive A- or B-screening of the General Intelligence and Security Service (AIVD) may be a requirement for a number of positions at NVWA (including IOD).
- After the expiration date, the job text and the vacancy information will no longer be visible online. To avoid having to request this, we ask you to download and save the job posting.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.
The Dutch Food and Consumer Safety Authority (NVWA) invites you to apply on their website. Via the button below you leave this page, you get directly to application form†
The state values a diverse and inclusive organization. Working in differently composed teams makes us more efficient, more innovative and work more fun. Everyone is therefore encouraged to apply.