Kingston Digital Europe Co LLP, a subsidiary of Kingston Technology Company, Inc., the global leader in memory products and technology solutions, today announced Kingston IronKey™ Keyboard 200 (KP200) on. It is the first drive on the market to support the latest FIPS 140-3 level 3 data protection.
The IronKey™ Keypad 200 is built for robust protection and flexibility in use. The drive offers XTS-AES 256-bit hardware encryption in an alphanumeric keyboard with many options independent of the operating system. The KP200 includes a built-in rechargeable battery that allows users to unlock the drive with the keypad for easy access to the PIN code without using software. Once unlocked, users can access their data by connecting the drive to any device with a USB Type-A input, making it plug-and-play for any computer regardless of operating system.
The KP200 is FIPS-140-3 Level 3 (pending) certified for military security, and the drive circuitry is coated with tamper-resistant, tough epoxy to prevent access to internal components without damaging them. For even more protection, the keyboard is coated with a protective polymer layer. This prevents anyone with bad intentions from analyzing the fingerprints on the keys.
The KP200 supports a multi-PIN setting that allows the use of individual administrator or user PIN codes. The KP200 locks the User PIN after ten failed login attempts, but if both PINs are enabled, the Administrator PIN can be used to restore a User PIN and access to the station. If the administrator PIN itself is entered incorrectly ten times in a row, the built-in Brute Force attack protection will cryptographically erase the drive. As a result, it will permanently destroy the data and reset the device. In addition, the KP200 can protect against malware from untrusted systems with two different read-only modes. These allow the administrator to write-protect the drive during a specific session or in general user sessions.
“The Kingston IronKey KP200 is the first drive to pass certification lab tests for NIST’s latest FIPS 140-3 level 3 military-grade security level,” NIST said. Oscar Escayola Kaloudis, EMEA Flash Business Manager, Kingston. “Because no software is required and the keyboard is easy to use, the KP200 is the best solution for those looking for flexibility while maintaining the highest level of security for storing sensitive data on the go.”
KP200 adds security enhancements to FIPS 140-3 Level 3:
- Minimum PIN length goes from 7 to 8 digits (max. 15) for stronger PIN security;
- No factory-set PIN – user must set PIN on first use;
- Periodic self-tests to ensure fully functional safety features – KP200 shuts down if a problem is detected;
- Automatic shutdown in case of excessive thermal and voltage conditions;
- Optimized Random Number Generator to generate improved encryption keys.
The Kingston IronKey Keypad 200 has available storage capacities ranging from 8GB to 128GB and comes with a three-year limited warranty, with free technical support and legendary Kingston reliability. For more information, visit kingston.com.
Kingston IronKey Keypad 200 features and specifications:
- FIPS 140-3 Level 3 Certification Pending: The KP200 now complies with the new FIPS 140-3 Level 3 military-grade security specifications published by NIST. Certification testing has been completed and the drive is in the NIST review cycle for final approval. This is an enhanced version of the FIPS 140-2 Level 3 specifications that further improves the security features and tamper resistance of the drive. The drive has XTS-AES 256-bit encryption and protection against brute-force and BadUSB attacks with digitally signed firmware. The circuits are covered with a layer of special epoxy that makes it virtually impossible to remove components without damaging them. This hard epoxy resists attack on the semiconductor components.
- Independent of OS and devices: Because the KP200 uses a rechargeable battery, the keyboard allows you to unlock the station without using any software and then connect it to any system that supports a USB Type-A mass storage device. This gives users the greatest flexibility for different platform types and operating systems.
- Possibility of multiple pin codes: Users have the option to set a user or administrator mode. Admin mode can be used to restore a user PIN and grant access to the drive. This can be useful if the user has forgotten the PIN code or has reached the maximum number of 10 incorrect login attempts.
- Read-only modes (write protection) Mode settings, global and per session: Both the administrator and the user can set a read-only mode per session. This protects the drive from malware or untrusted systems. The administrator can also configure a global read-only mode that puts the drive in read-only mode until reset.
- Interface: USB 3.2 Gen 1
- Capacity¹: 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB
- connector: Type-A
USB 3.2 Gen 1
8GB –128GB: 145MB/s read, 115MB/s write
8GB: 30MB/s read, 12MB/s write
16GB – 128GB: 30MB/s read, 20MB/s write
- Dimensions (drive with sleeve): 80mm x 20mm x 10.5mm
- Dimensions (drive without sleeve): 78mm x 18mm x 8mm
- Water/dust resistant³: Certified IP57 rating
- Operating temperature: 0°C to 50°C
- Room temperature: -20°C to 60°C
- Compatibility: USB 3.0/USB 3.1/USB 3.2 Gen 1
- Minimum system requirements: USB 3.0 and 2.0 compatible
- Warranty/Support: 3 year warranty with free technical support
- Compatible with: OS independent: Microsoft Windows®, macOS®, Linux®, Chrome OS™, Android™⁴ or any system that supports a USB mass storage device.
Kingston® IronKey™ Keypad 200 includes DataLock® Secured Technology under license from ClevX, LLC. www.clevx.com/patents
¹ Some of the specified capacity of a flash storage device is used for formatting and other functions, so it is not available for data storage. The actual available data storage capacity is thus less than what is stated on the products. For more information, visit the Kingston Flash Memory Guide.
² Speed may vary depending on host hardware, software and usage.
³ The product must be clean and dry before use.
⁴ Compatible systems.